Wednesday 18 March 2009

Mini wargamers

I edited the mistake that made the whole thing not make any sense.

I introduced the wargame to my ten year olds yesterday. It really wasn't meant to be an out and out wargame, it was meant to lead them to an insight into why weapons developed so much over time. They were supposed to be hunting animals and taking them back to their camp to become food. I told them that the group with the most food in its camp at the end of the game would win.

I split the class into 4 teams of 6, each with its own colour. Three of the teams were mixed, with one or two boys and the rest girls. The red team however was all boys. On their first turn, one of the red boys asked me if they could kill people as well as animals. I told him they could if they wanted to, but I pointed out that the blue team (the closest to them) was a long way away.

The red boys discussed their strategy and decided that because their was a finite number of animals to hunt, they couldn't have the blue team hunting them all, so they headed toward them and attempted to exterminate them. They almost succeeded too. They managed to get 4 out of the 6 and they almost got one of the remaining ones as they fled away to their camp.

The blue team were not exactly happy about the way the game went and I think the red team were disappointed because time ran out, which meant that the green team won; they deserved it because they had cooperated from the word go.

The kids want to play it again and I am thinking of letting them do it on Friday. They have made lots of suggestions; better weapons being the most common idea. One of the kids (a member of red team) wants nukes to be introduced. Bloodthirsty little buggers.

5 comments:

Shanathalas said...

"The red team however was all girls. On their first turn, one of the red boys asked me if they could kill people as well as animals."

What am I missing here?

Skirza said...

mistake edited. "boys" it was meant to be.

Anonymous said...

be honest, since you created it, I'm suprised that there's not already nukes in it.

And Boba Fett.

It's where he went when everyone thought he was eaten by the Sarlacc.

He actually was trying to take out the Bounty on Batman, as he hear he had been thrown back in time. (At the end of Final Crisis)

I should try and reference rpgs and video games as well, but I think that's more nerd than even I could safely handle.

In other news, the game sounds fun. Any chance of pictures?

Anonymous said...

That last post was supposed to have started with the word 'To'

Hopefully this should help it makes sense.

Mike Cosgrave said...

I suppose Green deserved to win within the time frame allowed, but the Red team could argue that if the game went on longer, having eliminated competition from Blue, they, Red, could expect to grow faster than Green, become more powerful and eventually force Green to submit to them. Unless you find a way to run the game longer and reward Green in a fair way, you are going to have a bunch of Red Team players growing up thinking they did have a viable game plan