Thursday 9 April 2009

Castigator completed in time to castigate

I finished my Casty this afternoon and am pretty happy with the result, especially since I departed from a technique I have been using for a long time. The difference was that I didn't ink the non metallic colours. I know its not that huge a thing to do differently, but I always (on key miniatures) use ink to provide a level of shade. I still inked the metallics though because they look flat without it and I am not good enough to do NMM.

castigator

Here he is from the side view. The only thing I don't like about the job is the pose he is in. The look I was going for was the scrapper throwing caution to the wind and diving into melee, but instead I got something else that could be called where are my keys?

castigator side

I also did a lot more on the base than I normally do and I am happy with it for a first attempt, but I think in future I want my cobbles or flagstones to look more 3D. I think I have to rethink how basing is done. I might dig up a youtube vid of that prolific Canadian (I think he is the Kamloopian or something) model making guy. He has heaps of shows about miniatures and how to do stuff and he does it in real time, which means that while you might have to wade through 45 minutes to see a technique fully exploited, you get to see how it is done.

castigator rear

Last I have a picture of Rez and his Casty. I think Rez looks pretty proud of the little fella all grown up.

Rez and his Casty

Next on the agenda (I have another week off work) is my Exempar Seneschal and my Reclaimer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's the Casti for balance? I'd be leary of him tipping over on his nose.

Looks spiffy though!

Skirza said...

The balance is ok, but I still want to reposition him a little more upright.