Wednesday 17 September 2008

Daunted by those Flames of War

The guy from my FLGS (Mage Store) gave my number to another guy, by the name of Andreas, so that we could meet for a game of FoW and he could teach me to play properly. It was a good idea and I found that we were interpreting the rules quite well, with only a few things that we had omitted.

As an introductory game though, there were a few pros and cons:

Pros first
1. Andreas is a polite and courteous player.
2. He explained things well even though English is his second language.
3. His miniatures are superbly painted.
4. He let me make some tactical mistakes so that I could learn from them.

Now the Con
1. We played almost 1900 points. It looked very impressive with all the tanks and infantry lined up and waiting to go, but as a beginner, I was a little daunted by the thought of a 600 point game, let alone more than three times what I was expecting.

Anyway, i am playing again on Saturday (600 points) and will take this new knowledge with me to knock Martin over the head and finally win a game of FoW.

In other news I am coming along nicely with my own miniature painting, with 10 stands of infantry almost complete.

In other other news, I am also playing in Mike's sci fi game on Sunday. Yay!

1 comment:

Derek Handley said...

It amazes me how high people want to go with points in war games. It seems like a great idea at first, because it will allow so much to be used, but I generally find myself overwhelmed by the amount of miniatures and the length of the game.