Thursday 25 September 2008

Role Playing Gamer syndrome 4

Sunday night we went around to Mike’s to play his Sci Fi rpg. The game is kind of like the Firefly TV show, set in the Alternity universe, using Spirit of the century as the engine. The first session worked out well. We knew our characters because of our zero session (I am going to insist on zero sessions from now on) a few weeks before and we knew how we knew each other as well.

We didn’t really get much done because in true role playing fashion, we hit a civilised place and split up immediately. Anything we needed to do required us to contact each other via radio and so formulating simple plans took longer than was strictly necessary. So when the problem finally presented itself to us, we were all in separate parts of the space station; meaning that our expertise was stretched ridiculously thin.

I wonder why it is that in any game, in any genre, as soon as the characters come in from the wilds, (be it dungeon, deep space, the sewers or a frozen wilderness) they feel the need to scatter to the four winds and disappear alone into the big bad city. Am I the only one seeing this happen all too often?

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I would say that the reason almost all gamers separate is that side jaunts are usually some of the only times that characters get to do stuff on their own and they are truly the central point of the game at that time. It's one of the few times you truly have the DM/GM/Storyteller/etc's full attention.

My 2c.

Skirza said...

I agree Jaime and that's why I am doing something really different for my new game in October. I am going to take the focus away from characters and put it on the players as builders of the story.