Tuesday 4 November 2008

Bad showing for the Trollbloods

I did very poorly in the tournament in Utrecht on Sunday. When I say poorly, I mean I cam last. Am I embarrased? A little perhaps. Am I annoyed? Not really. If I had won my last game (and I should have except for the rules my opponent broke) I would have finished fourth or fifth due to the decent amount of victory points I scored in my previous matches. Ah well.

It is difficult to explain to people why I lost without it sounding like sour grapes, but that's why I have a blog. Yay! Basically, my opponent was rolling an extra dice on the charge attack damage of her heavy warbeast. She did this three times and I didn't realise she couldn't do it. I am also sure she didn't know either. However this did mean that my stuff was falling apart rather quickly as she targeted it.

The worst mistake though was that she charged the same warbeast at my warlock, even though he was standing behind other figures that screened him. By this stage I was already trying to argue that the charge wasn't legal (according to the rules) for a different reason and after I lost that argument I didn't realise it was illegal from the screened perspective.

The arguing I was doing wasn't with my opponent though and this was the thing that actually pissed me off. Our game was dragging and so the other players filtered over to watch the end of our game as they finished theirs. Advice a plenty was wafting down from them to my opponent. I wonder if they would have been so keen to help if she had been a fat 40 year old man instead of a pretty 25 year old woman. Anyway, it was with them I was always arguing my case and it was clear that they wanted her to win. That is the only thing I am a bit sour about.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Aren't you like 6'7 and could easily stand above them and politely say "butt out, I'm trying to play an unbiased game here" or something to that effect in German?

But yes, it sucks when you forget certain rules to your detriment.